[OpenPOWER-HDL-Cores] introducing libre-soc: nmigen hybrid cpu-vpu-gpu

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Mar 27 14:01:52 UTC 2020

---

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 1:40 PM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 12:46 PM Jeffrey Scheel <scheel at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, we expect that a parseable version of the ISA will be available in the future.  While just having such a form will allow for mapping to any format, if you have a strong argument for a particular form (json, XML, ...), I'd be interested in understanding.
> > -Jeff
>
> that's fantastic to hear, jeffrey.  back in 1999 i wrote an SMB / CIFS
> parser that literally took the text version of the CIFS specification

ey, here it is!
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-leach-cifs-v1-spec-01.txt

example: section 3.14.1 - you see how easy that would be to identify
the client and server request, plus parameters, plus field comments,
with a few lines of python?

so even a text file-format would be perfectly acceptable (and an awful
lot better than JSON, HTML XML), as long as the tables are formatted
in some easy-but-arbitrarily-invented consistent format.

however i feel, honestly, that the whole of the OpenPOWER community's
needs would be much better served by us all getting together and
quickly mashing up a proprietary-XML-format to LaTEX converter.  we've
enough brains between us to outsmart even Marvin [1]

l.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jLIRJwfZhg